Thursday, May 21, 2009

Remember the part about "No peace?"

We were in the kitchen, just after I had returned home from the chiropractor and was hurrying to make dinner. Nyah was sitting at the table looking at some books we had just checked out from the library. Aiden walked over to the counter and picked up my glass of water. I thought he was thirsty, and this wouldn't be the first time I had shared a drink with my kids. I kept working on dinner.

Suddenly, Nyah was squealing and screaming. I turned around to see Aiden reaching up to pour the rest of the water (he didn't get it all the first time) on Nyah's head. While she screamed and whined Aiden LAUGHED OUT LOUD.

So I get a towel and dry off the squealing girl, her chair, the floor. (Luckily he missed the books.) I put the empty glass in the sink. Went back to dinner, surprised that such a little boy could already be doing such things completely for the love of making mischief. Saw Aiden getting the cup with the last trickle of his chocolate milk in it.

I honestly thought he was going to drink it. Silly Mamma.

Prompted by the screams and squeals, I turn to see Aiden on his tiptoes again, dripping the last little bit of chocolate milk on Nyah's head. (I don't know why she stayed put for it.) I dry off the girl, the hair, the book (he got it this time, but he didn't have much to work with). The "we don't do that" is lost on my grinning boy.

Back to dinner. More screams. WHAT NOW!?! Aiden has found a plastic measuring cup and is bonking Nyah on the head with it. Not because he is mad at her. Purely for the fun of it. So finally I buckle Aiden up in his high chair and there he sits until dinner is ready. He wasn't very happy about it, but I do my best to prevent my children from giving each other the Chinese water torture.

So we eat, everyone is happy, we have a nice evening. When I finally take Aiden up to put him to bed we go through the usual routine. Quick rinse instead of a bath tonight, clean diaper and onesie, brush teeth, stories. After I turn out the light and I'm singing Aiden his songs, he starts panting like a puppy. Any other time of day I play along with something like, "Oh, are you my little puppy?" But I keep rocking and singing, thinking if I don't react he will stop playing.

Wrong.

First he pants louder. Then he sits up on my lap and looks me in the eye and pants. Not one to give up, Aiden starts trying to lick my face. I'm still trying to sing, but at this point it is hard since I'm fighting laughter. He keeps trying to lick my face and finally I can't resist any more and I just laugh. And Aiden laughs with me. And licks me again.

What do you ever do with such a mischievous, lovable, mischievous little person? I didn't know they even knew how to be mischievous so little. (I'm not talking about the usual two-year-old messes. This is calculated, folks.) I guess you just laugh. He definitely makes me laugh.

1 comment:

Lori B said...

Remember when we were sitting on the stairs at mom's house talking and laughing and Aiden came over and sat down with us and started laughing with us. But, it was a kind of a forced/fake laugh. It was super cute. This story of yours made me think of that.