
Yes, these are what you think they are. I was sent home from the doctor today with the supplies for an assortment of urine sample tests. I have been diagnosed with osteopenia, something I had never heard of before. It is the middle ground between healthy bones and osteoporosis.
Do you want to know the funny thing? I drove home from the doctor's office today feeling very happy.
My visit was with an OMD, a doctor osteopath, who is viewed by insurance companies as a "normal" doctor but who has opinions closer to mine about things like treatment without drugs. He also spends a lot more time with patients than a "normal" doctor would, and that alone is encouraging. With a fine-toothed comb we went over the results of blood work he had ordered, and he answered all my questions.
The treatment that the doctor is going to put me on will be "for" the osteopenia. But it might help other things as well. For example, the blood tests showed that my potassium levels are low. That is something we will work on for my bones, but could also help my low blood pressure and accompanying light-headed-ness.
I think at the core of it though, my happiness on the way home was psychological. (Or "psycho-illogical" as my dad would say.) In spite of all the blood tests and other tests that doctors have ordered for me, whenever I have a new one that has never been ordered before I walk away feeling hopeful, like deep down inside I think that maybe this is the one that will tell us what is wrong so that we can know what to do to fix it. And I know that this won't give me all the answers, but I'm on the hunt, and I'm gonna get well, dang it! The answers are out there and I'm going to get this figured out!
So, here's to hope, no matter where we may find it.
1 comment:
I had to do a urine test with one of those big giant jugs too. Loads of fun! Well, I'm glad you got an answer. It really does feel better than "there's nothing wrong with you", when you know that something is wrong. I hope that the treatment helps!
Post a Comment