Saturday, December 31, 2011

I Am Training for a Half Marathon

WOOHOO!!  I am really excited.  Today was day one of training for my first half marathon!  I ran three miles today, which is a distance I have run before, but my goal for today was to run for half a mile, then walk for one tenth of a mile, then run for half a mile, etc.  And I did it!! 

I am really excited about all of this because in June of 2011 I decided to train for a 5K.  When I started out, just walking on the treadmill for 10 minutes made me tired.  I worked up to being able to jog for one minute and then walk for one minute, and by the day of the 5K I could run for 2-3 minutes and then walk for 1-2 minutes. 

The progress that I have made makes me super excited because I don't get so winded that I feel like I could die anymore.  Now I can be running on the treadmill and have a conversation with one of the kids.  It feels so awesome to be getting stronger!!!

So training for a half marathon will be a whole new adventure for me because I don't know the first thing about diet during training, what to eat before, during and after long runs, and so forth.  I will have the added challenge of researching what to eat during training for a wheat-free and largely dairy and refined sugar-free diet.  I will need to learn a lot over the next four months.  Race day is May 5. :)

(did I mention that I'm excited?)

No comments: