Thursday, October 23, 2008

Day 1

So as of this morning, I am officially following the candida diet. Yesterday I felt pretty optimistic about it, but today found me unprepared. Since I can no longer eat whatever comes into view, I will have to practice some serious menu planning.

Desperation recipe number one for today: Scrabbled Eggs with Salsa and Avocado. This is very yummy and highly recommended. The desperation part comes in because I had this twice today, not knowing what else to eat.

Desperation recipe number two for today: As 8:00 rolled around and I was supposed to be putting the kids to bed, I felt very unsatisfied and definately not filled up by the parade of raw cashews, corn chips, raw snap peas (more about this later) and the above mentioned eggs that I had eaten today. In desperation I sauted some onion, threw in chunks of zucchini, and topped it with leftover homemade tuna pasta sauce. Tuna and zucchini are not exactly a match made in heaven (although not gross, either), but it was warm and it filled me up.

When I was in high school I pulled some stomach muscles doing a flip. For several days afterward I discovered the painful way that you use your stomach muscles a lot more often than occurs to you. Yesterday when I was reading about the candida diet I thought, "No big deal. This won't be that big of a change." Today the parts of my diet that didn't occur to me yesterday became a lot more obvious. This is where the snap peas come in. After shopping at Costco for more veggies to fill my plate, I was very hungry. On other trips to Costco I would have opened a box of crackers or something, but today I munched instead on snap peas. :) (Cue the shaking head and wry smile. What an adventure food is going to become.)

The thing I am currently most excited to re-introduce into my diet? Mixed berries on my oatmeal.

No comments: