Thursday, September 17, 2009

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh!!!

Let me take a quick breath. Thanks.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh!!!

Okay, picture this. (You'll have to picture it because no, I did not take any pictures.) We spent the morning doing schoolwork, and I took Aiden and Nyah to the park. Kieran was almost done with his math and I told him that he could join us as soon as he was finished. The kids are playing, and Kieran rides his bike over in his socks to tell me that his sandals are locked in the car. I happened to have the keys with me, so I give him the keys and he rides back home.

Kieran never came back. I figured he was just got stuck reading or something. Silly Mamma.

So park time is over and we walk home. I come around the corner of the fence and there is my Sequoia, running, sitting on my neighbor's grass and about two feet from my neighbor's house. And my six year old son is sitting in the driver's seat.

No, I didn't laugh.

Kieran said that he just thought it would be a fun surprise for me if he drove up to the park in the car. I have no idea how he managed to stop the car and get in into "park" without backing it into the neighbor's house. Chances are he didn't even know how close he was to the neighbor's house, and just happened to stop it in time when he was trying to back out of the driveway. He was probably trying to figure out how to put it into drive when I walked up. (I am very grateful that I arrived when I did, before he had the chance to run into any one of the number of things in the vicinity - the fence, the neighbor's house, the garage, the tent trailer...)

We talked about the damage he could have caused. We talked about how you have to ask permission to drive someone else's car. We talked about how you have to be licensed to drive a car by yourself. And Kieran spent all of his time in time out asking if he could have a power-wheels or a kid-sized motorcycle.

I find that I keep having to remind myself to take deep breaths. I can't keep up with these guys!!

P.S. - I would ask that those who read this post do not bring up this adventure to or in front of Kieran. When he is 49, we can laugh about it together. Right now is not a good time for him to feel like this little escapade was cute, or funny, or clever, or anything but a BIG NO NO!

3 comments:

Lori B said...

Wow! Big no no is right. But it is kind of cute that he wanted to pick all of you up.

Stacy said...

Oh my. I just about broke out in anxious hives just reading that. And now, I am going to lock up my children. And never release them.

Unknown said...

None of us should probably tell him about the time two of his uncles burned down the neighbor's garage cremating a dead bird....