Friday, March 4, 2011

Weird Collection

We had a Grant Family Record set tonight - two loose teeth came out in one evening. Nyah lost her first tooth. Kieran lost one just a week or so ago, but when her tooth came out tonight he started working and working on another one in his mouth and pulled it right out. And so here is where the "weird collection" part comes in.

I'll spare you the pictures, because it's a little gross.

I haven't thrown away any of Kieran's baby teeth. When the tooth fairy visited Nyah for the first time tonight, her tooth went right into the collection with Kieran's. Yes, I even saved Kieran's big ugly still-have-the-roots teeth that had to be pulled when they abscessed. They are all in the bottom drawer of my jewelry box, next to the extra links from my bracelet watch and the spare button from who-knows-what. I don't know why I keep those teeth. They have even less purpose than the unnecessary watch links and the lonely and homeless button.

But I can't bring myself to throw them away. I certainly don't pull them out to look at and reminisce over. (Ah, do you remember the time that you had just gotten your cavities filled, and then the tooth abscessed and...) I don't feel like keeping the teeth is symbolic. I don't feel like the teeth themselves are symbolic. They are just a part of my kids. And so I keep them. I keep them in the bottom drawer of my jewelry box next to the turquoise ring from Jeremiah's Grandma Doris and the dolphin ring I bought on a vacation in high school.

It is an interesting collection.

1 comment:

Lori B said...

I like it. You know, before I got braces I had to have six of my baby teeth pulled. I still have them in a desk drawer at mom and dad's house. So, I guess what I'm saying is, I understand.