Thursday, March 12, 2009

Adventure Number 3,694

I don't know, as a mother you really can't count all the "adventures" you end up having, but today we haven't certainly embarked on a big one...

Homeschooling has been an issue that we've gone the rounds on, and I finally gave up on it. Truly. And then I happened upon the Utah Virtual Academy and this time when I brought up the "H word" nobody got mad... and now after a surprise phone call and a bunch of paperwork, we are officially enrolled for the remainder of the 2008-2009 school year. AND I AM SO EXCITED!

We actually don't have our curriculum yet, but today was our first day. Winging it was not a problem. Kieran wanted to read about dinosaurs, so we went to the library and he got to ask the librarian by himself how to find something. He chose the books he wanted, and when we got home he plopped down on the couch to read. We spent some time finding dinosaur pictures online, and he wrote out answers to some dinosaur questions that I gave him. Tomorrow we will put together his poster on dinosaurs. :) Then this afternoon we worked on a springtime art project. We took the big finger-painted Christmas tree off our wall (don't laugh, our house in Mesa had lights on the tree in the front yard for two Christmases straight without them coming down in between) and cut it in half and turned the branches into the grass. It was fun.




One thing that will help homeschooling work for us is my goal to cook less. I've been doing a pretty good job. Old habits die hard, though, and tonight while the kids were eating dinner I threw together some oatmeal raisin cookies. I've been easing up on the candida diet a bit and still seem to be doing okay. Some would consider these a cheat on the diet, others would not. But here's what I did:

Cream together:
a couple of big spoons of almond butter
about three tablespoons of honey (I eyeballed it)
one egg
about a tsp of vanilla

Measure in:
1 1/3 cup oatmeal
1 cup soft white wheat flour
1/2 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
a generous sprinkle EACH of cloves, allspice and cinnamon
walnuts and raisins to taste

Stir it up. I put parchment paper on a cookie sheet, not knowing how sticky they would be. The first batch I glopped on cereal-spoonfuls and they baked at 350 for about 14 minutes. The second pan I mooshed them flat because the first ones didn't spread, and those I baked for about 9 minutes. Not super sweet, but Jeremiah and Aiden still liked them. Nyah didn't seem thrilled. I think they are yummy.

2 comments:

Sadie said...

Awesome. I am glad you get to do homeschooling. It sounds like it is going to be lots of fun. Love ya!

Sadie said...

By the way, I can't remember why when I first set up my google account I put my username as Sadie. But when you see "Sadie" it is me, Sarah.